Kresge Library News: September 2007 Archives
September 28, 2007
Updated Interface for 10-K Wizard
10-K Wizard has updated their interface. The tabbed access to the search features has been removed and the links for these different sections moved to a menu at the left side of the screen.
In addition, better searching is available. 10-K Wizard has indexed all words, numerical values, punctuation and symbols providing more accurate and comprehensive results for searches such as â€œ7.5% senior notesâ€? or references to FASB Standards. The 'total results' feature now gives an accurate count of results received.
You can also refine searches and see results in context snapshots on the results screen.
Looking for the 'Recent Filings'? Check then new menu across the top of the screen, which provides direct access to the different types of recent filings from any screen
If you have questions about the new 10-K Wizard interface or any other Library resource, please contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org.
September 27, 2007
BNA Tax Library Name Change
BNA Tax Management Library has changed its name to BNA Tax and Accounting Center. Along with the name change has come a new interface utilizing 'tabbed' access to the different sections of the site. Several new features have been added to the interface to make searching and using the materials at BNA Tax and Accounting Center easier:
- Search the entire site from any screen.
- Customize the interface and set the starting tab (requires account creation).
- Split screen view for documents, showing table of contents and document section on one screen.
- The 'Go To' feature to find a document by citation or category is available at the top of every screen.
- For each tab section, an index of documents is available on the left hand side of the screen.
- Printing can be done in batches of up to 25 documents.
If you have questions about the new BNA interface or any other Library resource, please contact us at email@example.com.
September 26, 2007
Exporting from Mintel
Exporting from Mintel has changed with their new interface. The biggest change is the requirement of a login in order to download any data. The specifics of exporting from the new Mintel interface are explained in our Exporting from Mintel handout available on the Library's A-Z Database page.
September 24, 2007
Kresge Library Dash - New Podcast Available
A new episode of the Kresge Library Dash Podcast series is now available on iTunes. Episode 10 - Jumpstart Your Job Search is the audio companion to the popular Library instruction session by the same name. Included in this podcast in the lyrics section is the transcript of the podcast for easy reference.
For long-time subscribers, please re-subscribe to the Kresge Dash in iTunes as the links to our series have changed and iTunes will not automatically update the series at the old address.
September 20, 2007
New Issue of Korpacz Real Estate Investor Survey Available
The new issue of the Korpacz Real Estate Investor Survey for the 3rd Quarter of 2007 is now available through the Library Catalog. New to this issue is the Average OAR Comparison section, a snapshot of the risk/return expectations of the 24 national and individual markets in the Survey. Also included is an article titled 'Green Building - A Strategic Imperative", which looks at the morphing of green building from trend into strategic imperative for owners and developers
September 18, 2007
Database Updates: LexisNexis
LexisNexis has performed a major upgrade to their user interface. Probably the biggest improvement is the addition of the General Search tab. From this tab, you have the ability to search across news, legal and business information on a single screen.
The 'Power Search' tab allows you to limit your search to a specific publication or set of publications. Use the 'Find more sources' link in the 'Select Sources' section to enter in the desired titles.
Results screens groups your results by source type, such as newspapers, company filings and magazines and journals. Clicking on the links to these groups will show articles from just those sources. You can also regroup the result by other categories, such as publication name, industry or geography.
Access to the specialized search screens for Business and Legal searches have been moved to the button bar at the top of the screen so you can jump between search types at any point.
LexisNexis is available on the Library's A-Z Database list. If you have any questions about LexisNexis, or any of the other Kresge resources, please email us at firstname.lastname@example.org
New E-Book: Encyclopedia of Major Marketing Campaigns
The Encyclopedia of Major Marketing Campaigns looks at 500 major marketing and advertising campaigns of the 20th century from a historical perspective and several related initiatives of earlier years that developed the basis for present day advertising. Each article looks at the advertising campaign's or market initiative's historical context, target market, expected outcomes, competition, marketing strategy and development hurdles and the outcome of the campaign â€” what worked, what didn't and why.
This title is available through the Gale Virtual Reference Library and is accessible by the entire UM Ann Arbor Campus.
September 17, 2007
Database Update: Plunkett Research Online
New features have been added to Plunkett Research Online, most notably a new customization feature called MyResearchAccount. Use your own personalized MyResearchAccount to save searches, make comments, edit your searches, run them over again, and delete them. Using this feature requires creating an account a Plunkett.
Read on for a listing of more new features.
Other new features include:
1) A two-tier menu bar that allows you to switch between industries and sections with ease.
2) Export directly from your search results list. Just click the â€œExport this Searchâ€? button at the top of the company search results list, to go directly to the export page. You no longer need to go to the Export Companies page and redo your last search (though you still can if you really want to).
3) Statistics are now featured in HTML format (with PDF format still available) so that the section will load more quickly, and you can search more easily (use CTL+F for now; a search bar will be available soon), and browse more smoothly.
4) Company profiles now have a â€œclearâ€? button, so you can wipe all the search criteria instantly. You can also refine searches more easily as Plunketts will remember your last inputs with the â€œrefine your searchâ€? link on the results page.
5) A mini Google search engine is now available in every Industry Research Center, so you can search across all data in a single industry, without reference to where that data is stored.
6) Associations and Organizations have a whole new look, making it easier to search.
7) Glossaries have full-alphabet indexes at the top of each page.
If you have questions on using Plunketts or any other Kresge Library resource, drop us a line at email@example.com.
September 14, 2007
Database Update: CareerSearch
One more entry in the newly redesigned category. CareerSearch's new interface includes tabbed access to the different search types and easier to read pages. The new 'Criteria' selection box on the right side of the screen makes it easier to manage your search selections.
Other new features include:
- News Watch Lists - a customized tool that provides users with the most up-to-date information on the company of their choice.
- Corporate Affiliations - details the "family tree" of a company and allows users to quickly identify the parent, subsidiaries and divisions of a specific entity.
- Contact Search - allows users to quickly identify individuals within a company by title or name.
- Premiere Partnerships with CareerBuilder, InternDirect and Career Next Step integrate the Web's best employment resources into a CareerSearch. Search for jobs, find an internship, access career assessment tools, and expand networking opportunities in one central location.
As always, if you have questions about CareerSearch or any of the Kresge Library Resources, please contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org.
September 13, 2007
Database Update: Mintel
Not to be left out of the summer redesigns, Mintel has launched a new interface to their marketing data, called 'Mintel Oxygen'. This new interface provides the same market research you're used to, with new "What's Hot" trend analysis that was previously unavailable to Kresge Library users.
Other improvements include an expanded news service, and a "View Tables" feature that displays all tables from a report at once.
If you have questions about this new interface or other resources available from the Kresge Library, please contact us at email@example.com.
New Database - Ward's Business Directory
This 2007, 50th edition of the Ward's Business Directory of U.S. Private and Public Companies includes details on approximately 112,000 private and public companies in the United States. Basic contact information and data about each firm, including the industries in which it operates, names of top executives, number of employees, the type of company it is, its financial performance, alternative mailing addresses, and historical financial information are included. You can search by industry, state, zip code, area code, and type of company, as well as by sales ranges. Advanced sorting and data export data from Ward's into Microsoft Word (for mailing lists) and Excel (for research and analysis) are available.
Earlier editions of the Ward's Business Directory are available in print in the Kresge Library.
September 12, 2007
New Report Options Available for DemographicsNow
DemographicsNow has updated their output capabilities to include exporting in Excel spreadsheet and RTF formats. These options are available after creating an HTML report.
September 11, 2007
CareerTV - New on WetFeet
A new offering from WetFeet, CareerTV. At CareerTV, you can view hundreds of video profiles of the world's top employers which provide a firsthand look inside the workplace. You can also upload video resumes and get career advice, all in video format.
CareerTV is integrated into WetFeet. Just look for the links at the bottom of the page under the 'Industry Research' section.
September 05, 2007
Kresge Library Annual Report (2007)
Wondering what the Kresge Library did last year. So were we!
The Kresge Business Administration Library now has its first Annual Report in a number of years. The report describes the library and showcases library initiatives, collection news, organizational changes, new staff, presentations & publications, and other news from the last academic year.
We even have Kresge Library By the Numbers, which gives you a sense of the number of page views in Kresge databases and questions answered by the librarians.
Expanded Library and Reference Hours at Kresge Library
Starting this term, the Kresge Business Administration Library is expanding the building hours and the reference hours to better meet the needs of the Ross School of Business community.
During the Fall and Winter terms, the library will now be open from 7:30am until 2am , Sunday through Thursday.
We are also expanding our library reference desk hours and will be open from 11am until 7pm, Monday through Thursday. Friday hours remain 11am until 5pm.
We hope these extended hours make it easier for our students, faculty and staff to utilize library resources and get assistance with research needs.