Kresge Library News: August 2010 Archives
August 31, 2010
Changes to Kresge Library Resources
For the past year, Kresge librarians have been undertaking a large project to evaluate our database offerings to ensure that we are meeting the diverse information needs of the Ross School of Business. For each of our resources, we have been exploring issues such as quality of data, usability and potential redundancy with other offerings. Our goal, especially in these lean budgetary times, is to streamline our database offerings to best meet the needs of the school. The following database changes are forthcoming from Kresge Library:
- Bloomberg. The Library canceled its subscription to the two Bloomberg terminals; however access to Bloomberg is still available in the Tozzi Center. The effective date for this is August 16, 2010. Most company financial information that could be found in Bloomberg may also be found in other library databases like Thomson One Banker, OneSource, or Mergent.
- Demographics Now. The Library canceled its subscription to Demographics Now, a demographics and mapping database, in favor of SimplyMap, a more powerful tool that utilizes data from agencies such as the US Census, Easy Analytic Software Inc. (EASI), and Mediamark Research, Inc. (MRI).
- Thomson SDC Platinum. The Library canceled its subscription to Thomson SDC Platinum effective August 30, 2010. We have replaced this service with Zephyr, an online mergers and acquisitions database produced by Bureau Van Dijk.
Please note: SDC remains available for all RBS Faculty and PhD students. Please contact Paul Michaud in Research Computing for further information regarding SDC.
- ELM: This resource contains data on Automotive Suppliers, which is available in OneSource, Mergent Horizon and other company databases. This resource was canceled in July 2010.
- Emerging Medical Technology: This resource did not provide the types of answers in the medical devices industry that we had hoped. This subscription expired in July 2010.
- Mergent Events Data: This resource was not used by the community, and so was not renewed (effective July 2010).
As always, please feel free to contact us using the form or chat box on our homepage if you have questions or concerns about these or any other Kresge Library resources.
August 30, 2010
Introducing Wiley Online Library
Ross and UM patrons now have access to over 4 million articles from 1500 journals, 8000 books, and hundreds of reference works, laboratory protocols and databases through the newly launched Wiley Online Library. This multidisciplinary collection includes online resources covering life, health and physical sciences, social science and the humanities.
Wiley Online Library can be accessed from the library's ebooks page.
August 23, 2010
New! Kresge Video Tutorials
Watch our Video Tutorials to learn how to find company, industry, financial and career information in Kresge Library databases.
These brief videos will teach you the techniques you need to build a list of companies in an industry and/or geographic area; find a company or industry profile; download extensive financial information; or get the "inside scoop" on what it's like to work for the company of your choice.
The videos are located on the Kresge Library Database Instruction Sessions page under Video Tutorials.
Current videos include:
- Build a List in OneSource
- Exporting Financial Data from Orbis
- Finding Company Information in OneSource
- IBISWorld Industry Reports
- Marketline Company Profiles and Industry Reports
- Vault Career Insider
Questions? Contact us by email or through the chat box on the Kresge Library homepage.
August 19, 2010
New website for Economist Intelligence Unit
Economist Intelligence Unit (EIU) has launched a new website which provides easier access to a wealth of economic information. This is the first of several updates planned for the upcoming year.
From the new homepage, you can jump directly to specific reports or content on your country of choice. Individual country pages provide at-a-glance analysis data, ratings, reports, and key indicators. A new sidebar on article pages links out to related content.
If you have questions about the new EIU site or run into difficulty accessing EIU content, please feel free to contact us using the form or chat box on our homepage.
August 17, 2010
New Resource: Burton Group IT Research
Kresge Library is pleased to announce that our patrons now have access to Burton Group IT Research, a database of information technology resources.
The University’s subscription includes a focus on infrastructure topics—this includes coverage of infrastructure technologies, strategy adoption, and governance practices relating to application platforms and service orientation, collaboration and content, data center, data management, enterprise architecture, identity and privacy, network and telecom, and security and risk management.
Burton Group is available to everyone affiliated with the University of Michigan, but users will need to create their own accounts when they first access the database. To create your account:
- Go to http://www.burtongroup.com and click "Client Login"
- Enter your UM e-mail address under "First Time Here?" and click "Verify."
- You'll get the message: "We Didn't Recognize your Email Address"
- Click "Continue to Client Registration."
- Fill out the required information on the Client Registration page and click "Register." You should receive your login credentials within one business day.