Kresge Library News: April 2011 Archives
April 28, 2011
Service Interruption: A-Z Database Access and Library Catalog
Kresge Library will be performing a critical upgrade to our library server hardware on Monday May 2nd and possibly Tuesday May 3rd.
During this outage, access to Kresge Library resources (from either on campus or off) will not be available through the primary links on the Kresge website. Access to many of the library's databases will be available through the 'UM Users' link on the A-Z Database page.
An additional outage is anticipated in mid-May.
April 19, 2011
Kresge Business Administration Librarys First Annual Spring Food Drive (April 20-June 10, 2011)
Kresge Librarys First Annual Spring Food Drive (April 20-June 10, 2011)
Please join the Kresge Library of the University of Michigan’s Ross School of Business as we embark on a springtime food drive for Washtenaw County food banks. We are looking to collect non-perishable food donations that will be distributed to local food banks in June.
We are undertaking this food drive now for two big reasons:
- While many organizations coordinate food drives around the holidays, hunger is a year round problem. Food drives during the spring and summer are less common, but are critical for food banks’ ability to help families in need.
- At Ross, nearly 40% of our students graduate every April and many leave Ann Arbor. A food drive is a great way to lighten your load as you head out with your degree in hand, while helping less fortunate people in Michigan.
We will have drop-off boxes in Kresge Library at the Circulation Desk on the second floor. Boxes will be available from Wednesday April 20, 2011 through Friday June 10, 2011. When choosing items to donate for this drive, please make sure that:
- Food is non-perishable
- Food is in factory-sealed containers
- Food is not expired products
- Please avoid items in glass containers as they can break in transit (though we will try to wrap them)
Food Items in great need include:
- Tuna Fish or other canned fish or meat
- Beef Stew, Meat Soups
- Hearty Soups
- Canned Spaghetti or Pasta
- Beans (kidney, pinto, green, yellow, refried or black beans)
- Baby Food or Formula
- Ensure or other nutritional supplement drinks
- Dry Beans
- Noodles, Macaroni
- Powdered Milk
- Pancake or Baking Mixes
- Granola Bars
- Peanut Butter
- Jelly (in plastic jars)
Many Food Banks also collects unopened personal products including:
- Disposable Razors
If you want to learn more about food banks and hunger in America, you can see this page on the Kresge Wiki:
If you have any questions, please contact Corey Seeman at email@example.com or at 734-764-9969.
Thank you for participating in this new program that we hope will be an annual event at Ross!
April 08, 2011
Program: Copyright Criminals: Can you own a Sound?
Program: COPYRIGHT CRIMINALS: CAN YOU OWN A SOUND?
APRIL 8, 2011 7 pm North Quad Room 2345 (University of Michigan, Ann Arbor)
Come see the acclaimed film Copyright Criminals that takes a hard look at the debate over musical sampling, artistic expression, copyright law, and money. Followed by a discussion with Peter DiCola, co-author of Creative License: The Law and Culture of Digital Sampling . DiCola received his JD and PhD in economics at the University of Michigan and is Assistant Professor of Law, Northwestern Law.
Part of the MPublishing / MLibrary
Creative Commons Initiative
publishing.umich.edu | lib.umich.edu/copyright With support from Kresge Business Library