UM-SI ULA and PLA PEP Credit Update
THIS MESSAGE IS INTENDED FOR ALL CURRENT ULAs AND PLAs.
NEW PEP-credit option:
· All ULAs and PLAs are now eligible to receive 6 PEP credits through your current positions/assignments. These PEP credits will be applied to the Fall term of your second year in the program through SI 681 registration. So if you have completed 2 semesters of work already and will continue to work in your positions this summer, you are eligible for 6 PEP credits this fall.
· ULAs and PLAs will be required to complete the same requirements as all students participating in PEP internships (specifically SI 681). You will be required to develop an ePortfolio--as a self-reflective tool, to submit MONTHLY reflective reports and participate in a group shared discussion/blog with your peers through the ePortfolio system. You will have to submit a final reflective evaluation at the end of the summer as well.
· ULAs and PLAs will be required to participate in a Career Development seminar (offered in the fall following their first year of work) for additional self-reflection and peer sharing through structured career/self-assessment group activities. You will also be required to present on your experience and reflective learning to SI students, faculty, staff and mentors in the fall as well through SI@Work.
Again, these are the same requirements for any student participating in SI 681.
We have communicated this new policy with your supervisors and mentors so they are all aware of what is expected from them as well. They are all on board with this new policy. If you are interested, I’ve included this information below:
· Fall (for 1st year ULAs and PLAs): Job description (this can be the original job description that you post when recruiting ULAs and PLAs sent to the PEP office at the start of the year.
· Summer: Updated description if goals/objectives have changed or a new project has been added. If nothing has changed, then we would just contact supervisors for confirmation of the stated goals and objectives.
· End of Summer: Supervisors to complete a web-based survey/evaluation from the PEP office regarding student’s work performance for the year. Supervisors are encouraged to meet regularly with the student to provide adequate advice and guidance and to ensure progress towards goals/objectives. Supervisors are also encouraged to share this feedback with the students on a yearly basis, if not every semester.
This new policy was developed to provide equity, structure, self-reflection, and stronger communication channels between students, SI and the libraries. It should also make it easier for you all to meet your PEP credit requirements for graduation.
Registering for SI 681 is not required, and enrollment is not automatic. YOU MUST contact the SI Career Services if you intend on registering for SI 681 in the fall. We ask that you let us know by MAY 16th.
SI Career Services will be holding an information session for all ULAs and PLAs who plan on registering for 681 on MONDAY, APRIL 27TH from 12-1 in 405 A /B. If you have never attended a PEP rally/info session, we encourage you all to attend so that you are aware of everything that will be required of you to register and receive your PEP credits. If you can’t make this time, please contact Joanna Kroll at email@example.com for an individual appointment.
Please contact us if you have any questions.
Sr. Associate Director, Career Services & Practical Engagement
University of Michigan School of Information
ph 734-615-8294 fax 734-615-3587
Posted by kkowatch at April 6, 2009 10:15 AM