« * Using emerging social networking tools like LinkedIn and Twitter to support your career exploration and job search process Visit The Career Center this summer! | Main | Updates from Ann Arbor SPARK »
UM-SI Process Redesign Project Opportunity
Do you deal with a process everyday regarding the way information gets passed -- or not passed -- along that frustrates you? Is there an information flow in your organization that could be more effective or efficient if a team analyzed it, identified key issues, and provided a set of recommendations for improvement?
If so, we invite your participation as a client for SI 501, “Contextual Inquiry and Project Management” a 14-week client-based course at the University of Michigan School of Information (http://si.umich.edu/ ). For this course, Master’s students perform an in-depth analysis of a process flow of organizational information use from several perspectives. (The course description and more examples of past SI 501 clients and projects are available at http://www.si.umich.edu/courses/501/ )
Past projects have included:
• The analysis of information flow that occurs between a board of directors and volunteers at a local wildlife care organization from the processing of incoming reports regarding injured mammals on through to the placement and care of the animals
• The review of a health clinic’s telephone queue and voicemail system that would established a formal protocol for routing phone calls and messages from patients, medical specialists, pharmacists, funders, and vendors to appropriate staff
• An examination of how a government agency plans, creates, and disseminates information about current events and projects to regional employees to encourage collaboration and decrease the duplication of effort among employees
• A review of how information flows in a product development organization from the generation of new ideas, through market research, finance, and the actual development of the product
• The study of a public library's process to acquire and weed materials among its three branches
In order to be eligible, your organization must meet the following criteria:
• Have a formal or informal information process already in place, that needs improvement
• Provide 5-10 people that are involved in the process and willing and able to be interviewed by the student team
If you are interested in learning more, please reply by Friday June 12, 2009 and I'll follow up with additional information.
Please feel free to forward this email on to any colleagues, clients, or friends that would be interested in this opportunity.
Ixchel Faniel, Assistant Professor at the School of Information, and her SI 501 instruction team are looking forward to another great semester of client consulting projects, and we hope you will join us!
University of Michigan School of Information
Career Services and Practical Engagement
Posted by kkowatch at June 1, 2009 11:53 AM