Follow SI Careers and Others on Twitter
The SI Career Development Office is on Twitter -- we've got 186 followers and we want more! And, we want to hear from you about what you want to see us Twitter about!
Check us out at @si_careers
There are many, many other career oriented Tweeters out there too that you can follow:
1. @LinkedInExpert: As part of a generation that grew up with technology why not use it to find a job? This feed will give you advice on how to make the most of LinkedIn in your job search.
2. @resumeservice: Through this feed you can get some great advice on creating a resume that’s sure to impress.
3. @AlisonDoyle: This tweeter is a job search and career expert who can help give you some much-needed advice on finding the job you want.
4. @careerchatter: Get some free career coaching and advice from this feed.
5. @sweetcareers: Grace Kutney offers some great advice here for college students who are just entering the job market.
6. @EntryLevelJob: This feed will keep you up-to-date on some of the latest job postings for entry level positions.
7. @rockthejob: Check out this feed to learn how social media will impact your job search and the way you’ll work in the modern world.
8. @GradtoGreat: Learn how to take the skills you learned in college and translate them into the job you want through this feed.
9. @leaddawg: Here, college students and their parents will get tips and advice on education and the post-graduation job search process.
10. @buddingup: This feed is all about helping new grads find entry-level positions in the US and Canada.
UM Alumni Career Networking Events
Evolution of Your Career: Survival of the Fittest
November 3, 2009
Los Angeles, CA 90067
Register for this event by clicking here.
November 4, 2009
St. Francis Yacht Club
On The Marina
San Francisco, California 94123
Register for this event by clicking here.
6-6:30 p.m. – One-on-One Resume Review
6:30-7:30 p.m. – Structured Networking
7:30-9 p.m. – Evolution of Your Career: Survival of the Fittest, Kathy Ullrich, ‘86
$20 Alumni Association members
• Personal resume review
• Connect with an alumni mentor
• Access to Blue Hiring Blue employers
• Exceptional career advice from Kathy Ullrich, ‘86
Are you in top-notch shape to take on your next career challenge? Do you have the strength (and strategy) to stay on top when your company down-sizes? Can your career endure a transition or change?
Whether you are entrenched in your career or seeking a new position, you should think of your career development like an exercise in endurance. It is vital to develop your career strategy, determine your career path, and identify the skills you need to get there.
Gain skills that will allow you to:
• Take control of your career development
• Guide your career success
• Evaluate your career path and take on detours and challenges
• Lead as you advance
• Strategize for success
Kathryn Ullrich is an executive recruiter and career expert. She is founder and President of Kathryn Ullrich Associates, Inc., specializing in the recruitment of vice presidents of marketing, product management, sales and consulting roles for technology and services companies. She also serves as associate director of alumni career services at UCLA Anderson School of Management, providing programs, coaching, and resources for alumni to manage professional success. Kathryn is writing a career development book, “Getting to the Top,” to be released in January 2010. She lives in San Mateo but was born in Ann Arbor and attended her first football game at the age of 5. Go Blue!
Karen Benavidez | Career Services Program Assistant
Alumni Association of the University of Michigan | 200 Fletcher St, Ann Arbor MI 48109-1007
direct 734.764.1717 | toll free 800.847.4764 | email@example.com | www.umalumni.com
Student Opportunities and Resources from Ann Arbor Spark
From Ann Arbor Spark...
We continue to get very strong website traffic to our student resources portal, known as College Connections, which includes a list of over 200 companies that regularly hire new college graduates. Please add the information below to your student career development websites. Also, be sure to have your students and graduates watch the many small, emerging tech-based companies in Michigan. The best way to learn more about these companies (and who is hiring) is to check out SPARK's Career Services at http://annarborusatalent.org/, where they can view job postings and subscribe to our weekly Talent Search newsletter which features many cool, growing companies.
Call for College Graduates from Saras America, Inc.
Here is a company that is looking to hire several college graduates over the next year. Saras America, Inc. (Farmington Hills, MI) is an information technology firm that is focused on providing exceptional service using cutting edge technologies to serve their clientele. They are looking to add new members to their team in the following areas:
Business Development Managers
IT Consultants (must have completed a Masters Degree program)
If your students are interested in a career in information technology, please contact them to discuss the opportunities in greater detail. Saras America, Inc., 38345 W 10 Mile Rd. Suite 300, Farmington Hills, MI 48335, (248) 489.8484, E-mail: steveS@sarasamerica.com.
November 6, 2009
The Michigan Collegiate Job Fair, Livonia
The Michigan Collegiate Job Fair is sponsored by Eastern Michigan University and Michigan Association of Colleges and Employers.
News of Note about the Fair:
• Gain valuable networking experience as you learn about companies and their job opportunities
• Some employers perform on-site interviews
• A list of participating employers is available at Employer List for MCJF 2009
• Bring plenty of resumes
Time: 9 a.m. to 3 p.m.
Location: 27777 Schoolcraft Road, Burton Manor, Livonia, Michigan
Register online at www.mcjf.org; $10.00 registration fee (by midnight October 30)
Michigan Collegiate Job Fair 2009
Career Services for Job Seekers - Career Services at Ann Arbor SPARK
Looking for a job? Check out these categories to find a new and exciting opportunity, and then send a resume and cover letter to the email listed in the summary.
• Michigan Works! Postings
• InternInMichigan Portal
• Senior Management
• Early Start-ups
• Life Science
• Sales, Marketing & Business Development
• Professional & Administrative
• IT & Software Engineering / Development
• Engineering (non-software)
• Contract / Consulting
You can also Create a profile which will allow you to receive our weekly Talent Search newsletter and to submit a resume.
Intern In Michigan - InternInMichigan
New Web Portal for College Students
• Students: Find an internship in your chosen field where you can open the door to
your career. Post your profile today.
• Employers: Find college internship candidates with skills that match your
Internships Help You To:
• Stand out in a competitive job market
• Network and connect with professionals
• Apply classroom learning in the real world
• Explore career options and enhance professional skills
• Build a stronger resume
Hot Shots: Monthly Career Connection Events in Ann Arbor
Sponsored by Ann Arbor SPARK
Are you graduating this year and looking to join dynamic, growing companies right here in Michigan? Would you like to attend fun career networking events each month in Ann Arbor?
If the answer is yes, then be sure to check out Hot Shots: Career Connections which is featuring some of the hottest growing companies in Michigan. For details, to view the full list of participating companies and job titles, and to register for these events, go to:
Events, at Ann Arbor SPARK
Cool, Growing Michigan Companies
These companies are adding jobs in Michigan now and / or over the next 5 years. Be sure to consider them during your job search now or after you graduate. Follow this link to see a list of Cool Growing Companies in Michigan.
Companies That Hire College Graduates
Are you trying to find a list of growing companies in Michigan that hire college graduates for entry level positions? If yes, please check out this list of almost 200 companies who traditionally look for fresh talent:
Companies That Hire College Graduates in Michigan
Temporary Employment - A Great Place to Start
Temp Hire Agencies in Michigan
We're always looking for new ideas and are very open to your suggestions, as we want to help you to provide great, local career options for your students.
Thanks for all of your assistance.
Amy Cell and Mary Salley
Ann Arbor SPARK
This Month at The Career Center for Graduate Students October 2009
October features a large number of events for graduate students, both one-time workshops and day long conferences. The Career Center partners with many other units on campus to bring you events focused on career options both within and outside the academy. You can also check out our blog on nonacademic careers, and join the discussion with your comments.
See the full schedule with details.
This Month - October 2009
PhD Blog on Nonacademic Careers
Preparing Future Faculty Conference: Getting Ready for an Academic Career, October 7
Careers and Internships in U.S. Government Foreign Affairs, October 15
International Opportunities Fair, October 22
The Job Talk: A’cing the One-Question Test, October 26
Also, the Career Center launches it academic job search blog to support you in that process:
Our blog will offer perspective, advice and resources on a variety of job search topics, beginning with our first post on what it means to be job search ready. The blog will also feature periodic posts from the real experts — faculty who bring the search committee perspective.
I hope you'll get involved with the blog in a few ways:
* Take some time to read the posts.
. And if you like what you read, go ahead and subscribe.
* Add your comments, share your advice. Each of you will have your own stories to share as you go through the job search process, stories that can help others as well.
* Let me know what you would like to read about. The blog will be most useful if it meets your needs, so I'd like to hear what's on your minds.
Senior Assistant Director,
The Career Center
3200 Student Activities Building
Ann Arbor, MI 48109-1316