« September 2011 | Main | November 2011 »

Summer 2011 Internship Experience

Another SI student shares on their summer 2011 internship experience:

I did my internship with Automated Data Processing (ADP) in Beijing, China. The office I was working focuses on information systems for auto mobile dealership services. ADP China office in Beijing has three organizational units: consulting unit, service unit and research and development unit (R&D). It was R&D unit where I worked.

I found this internship by employee recommendation. My work in R&D team mostly focused on algorithm design. Dealership services involve surprisingly complex work flow structures. Due to the nature of this business, individually customized solution has great importance for the running of daily business activities. One part of the work performed by R&D team is to figure out how to design solutions which are flexible to end users while maintain the integrity of business process. Complex algorithm is required for processes like pricing, though intuition to end user is a constrain that we worked to balance.

My take-away from this internship experience would be mostly about business process management, and of course, algorithm design for business processes. It’s an interesting experience to work in a technically orientated team but have to keep an eye on the business team sitting just next door. Collaboration between business units is definitely some place ADP China should work on in future. That’s also a place I would like to tap on in my work.

Posted by kkowatch on October 21, 2011 at 02:59 PM | Comments (0)

This Week at SI-CDO - Monday, October 24, 2011

In This Edition:
Workshops and programs
Employers @SI
Mock Interviews @SI
Other events on campus

Workshops and programs
How to network with SI alumni
Tuesday, October 25
Noon - 1:00 pm
2185 North Quad

SI Alumni are an excellent resource for networking for success in your internship and job search. In this workshop, tips and resources will be shared on how to make the most of the SI Student-Alumni Network, LinkedIn Groups, and other UM resources and events that provide connections to alumni.

Social Computing - What can you do with an MSI?
Career exploration information session

Thursday, October 27
Noon - 1:00 pm
2185 North Quad

In this session, the Social Computing specialization will be introduced, examined and information will be shared on the following to help you envision your career pathway and prepare for success: required skills and abilities, employment outlook, salaries, job outcomes, industry trends, testimonies and tips, and much more.

RSVP in iTrack to attend!

Employers @SI
Access Sciences Information Session
Monday, October 24
Noon - 1:00 pm
2245 North Quad

Interviews
Monday, October 24
9:00 am - 4:00 pm
3360 North Quad
Schedule closed

Marketing Associates Information Session
Tuesday, October 25
Noon - 1:00 pm
Ehrlicher Room, 3100 North Quad

RSVP in iTrack to attend!

Mock Interviews @SI
Cengage Learning
Monday, October 24
8:15 am - 4:15 pm
User Experience Specialist (schedule full)
Schedule closed

Ithaka
Friday, November 4
9:00 am - Noon
User Experience Specialist
Schedule closes Wednesday, November 2 at 11:59 pm

Note: If the organization or positions offered aren't exactly what you are targeting, that's okay - sign up for something close anyway! The feedback you'll receive will be helpful for your job search no matter what.

Please login to iTrack in order to sign up for a Mock Interview Slot!

We will be offering more mock interview schedules throughout the year. Watch for publicity!

RSVP in iTrack to attend!

Other Events on Campus
Statement of purpose writing workshop (for International Funding)

Digital Preservation internships information session

CNA information session

More information available on the iTrack Calendar of Events!

Posted by shamille on October 21, 2011 at 02:53 PM | Comments (0)

LiveWorkDetroit! Events this Fall!

Detroit is hiring and we want you!

Entrepreneurs and Creative Sectors
October 21, 2011, 10 a.m.–4:30 p.m.

Tentative Agenda
10 a.m. Kick Off at Detroit Symphony Orchestra (DSO)
• Meredith Kerekes, Chief of Staff, TechTown
• Josh Linkner, CEO/Managing Partner, Detroit Venture Partners
• Paula Sorrell, Managing Director, Entrepreneurial Services, MEDC

10:30 a.m. LivePlayDetroit tour:
Homes, Arts, Culture, Fun and Entrepreneurs: Part I

12 p.m. Lunch with Detroit entrepreneurs and young professionals
• Leah Moss, Editor-in-Chief, Jack Detroit
• Philip Lauri, Founder/Director, Detroit Lives

1:30 p.m. LivePlayDetroit tour:
Homes, Arts, Culture, Fun and Entrepreneurs: Part II

2:30 p.m. Employer networking session

4:30 p.m. Closing event
• QuanTez Pressley, Office of Detroit City Council
• Matt Clayson, Executive Director, Detroit Creative Corridor Center

There is a $15 registration at www.michiganadvantage.org/LWD.

Follow us @LiveWorkDetroit. Like us at facebook.com/LiveWorkDetroit.

Posted by kkowatch on October 17, 2011 at 11:37 AM | Comments (0)

2011 Summer Internship Testimony

Several SI students were asked to share about their summer internship experience for the SI-Career Development Blog. Below is one student's shared experience:

In the first week of the winter semester, I saw on the school’s website that the Engineering career fair was approaching. I decided that I will attend this fair. I wasn’t sure on how to prepare for the fair. I knew I had to wear business formals since I have seen students wear them for the previous fair. I promptly bought a suit. I called up a few seniors and asked them for tips. The first thing they said is prepare your one minute pitch. I started preparing for the fair a few days before the fair. I got a list of firms that were coming and started reading their description and what qualities they were looking for in a student. However, there were no firms that were specifically looking for SI students. I looked up their website and saw if they had any positions that were relevant to my background. I prepared my one minute pitch. Revised it a few times and practiced in front of the mirror. On the day of the fair, I was overwhelmed by the number of students. I wanted to seem confident but not over confident. There was on specific representative of an organization I talked to told me that they don’t sponsor International students. I then realized that I had to approach firms that hired International students. But the way the firms were arranged was quite random. Then I heard that the CS and EECS building had the firms that were hiring students with computer science background. It made sense to go there first. So I started from there.

The organization where I interned in the summer was there in the career fair and dropped my resume at their table too. It was very hard for me to understand their business. After a few days I was called for an Interview and they gave me some topics to prepare on. I can recall the Executive assistant who made that call telling me that “I am trying to fit in all six of them”. I was quite nervous that I had to interview with six people. When I was preparing for the interview, it was very hard for me to understand who the nature of their business since when I went to their website it took me to customer facing side of the site and the about us section was not updated. The interview went on for almost 2 hours. I was called a few weeks later and was given an offer and I accepted it.

The first few weeks at the internship, I had to understand all the products and services of the firm and also understand every employee’s roles and responsibilities. It was a great way of getting to know people at the firm. I felt the firm is unique in the Industry; it provides support for Dealers to have an online presence since buyers spend a lot of time on the internet researching cars, car prices, etc. My role was not so much dealer facing but rather involves a lot of vendor relationship and also communicating with different consolidated subsidiaries of the organization. Half-way through my internship, I was asked to present on my work so far to the Executive team. This meeting is one of the most important meetings in the organization. The product development team will present their work and there are a lot of questions on the assumptions and other parts of the work. After some discussion around the presentation, the Executive team decides on whether the product needs to move forward or shelved. I was very nervous about this presentation. I sat with my mentor and my supervisor to get tips on what are the things that I need to cover. My supervisor asked me to sit in one of those presentations the previous week and I got a gist of what are the things that needs to be covered and also I now knew what questions I can expect. After my presentation, there was some positive response although I was faced with a lot of questions and comments. I felt good when a lot of people came to my cubicle later and told me that I did a good job. My supervisor wanted the project to move faster and so did I but there were a few roadblocks that I did not have control over. Although it slowed down the pace at which the project was moving, it gave me a great learning experience on how to deal with such situations if faced again.

The organization had a good balance of work and play. I should give credit to my HR. She planned a lot of events and fun outings for the team to keep up the excitement. The organization went through some structural changes and a new mission, vision statement was coined by the executive team. At the end of my internship, I was offered a Co-op and I accepted it. My internship has played a very important role in my career plans. I got very attached to the firm for several reasons. One is because they gave me an opportunity to lead the project which I think it pretty significant decision, especially for this project as it involves a lot of interaction with the partners. It shows that they have a lot of trust in my work and I wanted to keep up the same. During my performance appraisal, I learned from my supervisor that I exceeded expectations when it comes to taking initiatives. I met all other expectations. I try to think back on how I could have exceeded expectations in other factors and I am constantly soliciting feedback from my supervisor and my mentor. The other thing is that all my colleagues interact with each other as if it like one big happy family. The organizational culture and work environment is very important to be able to produce effective results. The organization is flexible but yet fast-paced. They also give employees to venture new things that employees are passionate about and incorporate employee’s feedback seriously. My internship experience has given me the platform to improve my understanding of Market research and Business Intelligence in the Industry.

Posted by kkowatch on October 15, 2011 at 10:19 PM | Comments (0)

2011 Summer Internship Testimony in Health Informatics

A current SI student shares on their summer internship experience:

I am interested in HCI application in healthcare industry and have taken a few classes related to the subject. I was intrigued by the numerous theories and principles described and decided it would be highly beneficial to have an opportunity to experience and validate my studies. I am particularly interested in the workflow dynamics and analyses and system design practices. I learned that one of the faculty has a contract collaborating with a local hospital and was recruiting people; I took advantage of the opportunity.

My internship’s objectives were to integrate and design a centralized database for the department. The department is a highly elaborate organization. Because of the dynamic nature of healthcare practice, the existing database practices need to be revised and improved. My role was a project manager: I performed needs assessments, business processes, and work and information flow analyses. I then took this data and collaborated with programmers to design an improved and more efficient database system.

I initially felt tremendously overwhelmed by the complexity of the organization. The environment is extremely fast-paced, almost to a point of being frantic, yet it is very well coordinated. There is the constant stream of medical terminology being used by all the personnel. In spite of this, I soon found myself being able to learn and adapt well to its culture and also found that I could be resourceful. I was very fortunate: the department’s personnel were not only professional, but friendly and supportive; I made several good friends.

This internship affirmed and fortified my interest in health informatics. Such interest includes implementing an information system, improving interface design for medical devices, and enhancing patient communication and social support. I truly believe the sky is the limit when it comes to the career possibilities for information scientists in the healthcare sector.

Posted by kkowatch on October 15, 2011 at 10:15 PM | Comments (0)

2011 Internship MSI Internship Experience

The below is an blog post from a current MSI student on their 2011 internship experience:

"I'm one of a few dual degree students with the School of Public Policy, and I was lucky enough to find my internship through a posting on a Ford School list serve. The internship description was a perfect fit for my pre-grad school work experience, and I sent in my resume and a cover letter on the same day that I saw the posting. In the opening sentence I wrote, "Not many people can say they are perfect for this job, but I honestly can..." and it was true. I really could.

I went on to detail my previous work experience, and how my course work at the School of Information and School of Public Policy had enhanced and added to my skills and interests.

Interestingly, although it wasn't advertised in the posting, it turns out that the woman hiring for the position was not only a UofM alumnus, but a dual degree alumnus from Ross School of Business/School of Social Work. She mmediately knew the value of a dual degree from Michigan. So I interviewed with her a few days later and secured the internship.

The primary goal of my internship was to conduct an impact assessment study of a community lender in the San Francisco Bay Area. The results were to be written up in a conference paper for submission to the Federal Reserve, and also used in the strategic planning and marketing efforts of the organization, including in their social media outreach strategy. I was able to present the results of the impact assessment to the staff, and carry out the initial phases of the strategic planning process toward the end of my internship.

The primary thing that I learned about myself in the course of this internship was that the community banking industry is one that is a good fit for me, in terms of my previous work experience, course work at SI/Ford School, and my future career goals and interests. I also learned what a fabulous place the East Bay is to live and work, and I plan to direct my future job search there.

Posted by kkowatch on October 07, 2011 at 03:52 PM | Comments (0)