« Disable Safari 4's Welcome Video (Mac OS X) | Main

September 28, 2009

Use Snow Leopard’s Built-In VPN Client to Access the ITCom VPN

DISCLAIMER: This post has not been authored by ITCom and any change they make to their VPN systems may break this.

Instead of using the Cisco VPN client to access the ITCom VPN, you can use Snow Leopard’s built-in VPN client to do so. Here are the steps involved:

1. Open the Network preference pane in System Preferences.
  2. Click the plus sign to add a new network interface.
    • For Interface, select VPN.
    • For VPN Type, select Cisco IPSec
    • Write a descriptive description.
  3. Navigate to the ITCom page to download the desired VPN profile (either off-campus or on-campus).
  4. Viewing the profile as a text file, you can see key-value pairs with the format KEY=VALUE.
  5. Back in the Network preference pane, select your newly-created VPN. Set the following values:
    • Server Address: set to the Host value in the profile.
    • Account Name: set to your uniqname.
    • Password: set to your Kerberos password (though you'll still need to enter it upon connecting).
  6. Click “Authentication Settings...”. Set the following settings:
    • Shared Secret: set to the GroupPwd value in the profile.
    • Group Name: set to the GroupName value in the profile.

Connect to the VPN and you’ll be able to access campus resources from home.

Posted by slauncha at September 28, 2009 10:48 AM

Trackback Pings

TrackBack URL for this entry:

Comments

Is anyone else able to get this to work? I was able to get a VPN connection before I upgraded to Snow Leopard but now its not working for me anymore. Has anything changed?
Any ideas?

Posted by: pcockcro at November 2, 2009 11:02 AM

Yes, this has been working for me since before I wrote the article.

Posted by: slauncha at November 2, 2009 11:03 AM

Hmmm. I just discovered that this does work for me, but only on central campus, not on north campus which is where I need it.

Any ideas?

Posted by: pcockcro at November 4, 2009 10:30 AM

Unfortunately we don't maintain the VPNs; that's more of a question for the folks who do:

Posted by: slauncha at November 4, 2009 10:34 AM

Alrighty. Thanks anyway!

But just to clarify: you have been using this setup successfully when you are not on north campus. Correct?
This way I'll at least know if its a problem I'm having myself, or if its a problem with this setup on north campus.

Thanks again.

Posted by: pcockcro at November 4, 2009 05:49 PM

also. just fyi

after posting i get this:

Your comment has been received. To protect against malicious comments, I have enabled a feature that allows your comments to be held for approval the first time you post a comment. I'll approve your comment when convenient; there is no need to re-post your comment. Return to the comment page

it says that the comment is held for approval the first time you post a comment... but i've gotten that msg every time.
just thought you'd like to know that.

Posted by: pcockcro at November 4, 2009 05:51 PM

Yes, I have used this setup when not on North Campus.

Posted by: slauncha at November 4, 2009 06:42 PM

These instructions just worked fine for me. I successfully connected from off-campus.

Posted by: breedlun at November 28, 2009 11:07 AM

Login to leave a comment. Create a new account.