« A Few Things Heard on the Way Out to Lunch | Main | Breaking old dichotomies and associations »

March 10, 2006

Candidate for Best Symposium Quotation

"I love to Google myself. It's a form of narcissism. It's much better than a mirror, at least in my case."--Jean-Claude Guédon

Posted by kimballs at March 10, 2006 02:06 PM

Comments

I second this!

But I also love Ed Tenner on the longevity of the printed book: "Heart's desire of every blogger is to have a real book of his or her own."

Posted by: jenngrahamx@yahoo.com at March 10, 2006 03:39 PM

I only love Tenner's comment because it's so deliciously uninformed.

Posted by: rogersjp@potsdam.edu at March 10, 2006 04:36 PM

rogersjp: YES! I blog because I like blogging. My dream is that people realize they can be heard... and there are ways to do this outside of formal publication.

The "intimidation factor" Tenner contends makes publishing enticing may ACTUALLY exclude many potential participants. I wonder if there is research on this...

Posted by: jenngrahamx@yahoo.com at March 10, 2006 04:58 PM

People definitely do have an affinity for physical artifacts, and that alone may cause the book in its present form to endure far longer than it otherwise would, but I agree that Tenner's assertion is wrong. Bloggers write because they are writers and writers must write. They publish (blog) because they are the sort of writers who get satisfaction out of knowing that others are reading what they have written. The physical form is of no consequence.

Posted by: ebassey at March 10, 2006 07:07 PM

How about Courant's? "I hate the phrase scholarly communication; it's redundant. Scholarship requires communication."

Posted by: dgeraci at March 11, 2006 09:01 AM

His "Publish or perish is a moral imperative" has a nice ring to it as well.

Posted by: kimballs at March 11, 2006 09:16 AM

Went by too fast for me to copy, but James Hilton's opening punchline was a strong one.

Posted by: celia.white@gmail.com at March 11, 2006 11:15 AM

I think it was "the pure property view of ideas and expression undermine the soul of the academy and is the greatest barrier to innovation."

Posted by: mbonn at March 11, 2006 11:17 AM

And finally,

“That ideas should freely spread from one to another over the globe, for the moral and mutual instruction of man, and improvement of his condition, seems to have been peculiarly and benevolently designed by nature, when she made them, like fire, expansible over all space, without lessening their density in any point, and like the air in which we breathe, move, and have our physical being, incapable of confinement or exclusive appropriation.”

--Thomas Jefferson

Posted by: celia.white@gmail.com at March 11, 2006 11:52 AM

Login to leave a comment. Create a new account.