May 09, 2007
Social Bookmarking, Part 1: Why & How To
* Have you ever printed off a web page to take to a different computer so you could bookmark it where you need it?
* Or emailed a link from home to work for the same reason?
* Or been traveling and wished you could get a bookmark from your home computer?
If your head is nodding, then social bookmarking is for you!
Del.icio.us and other social bookmarking tools began life as tools to answer the problems described above. However, once people had their bookmarks online, very quickly it became apparent that these could be used for other purposes. A few of the other ways I use social bookmarking (aside from bookmarks for my own use) are:
- to see what is interesting to people I respect;
- to create an RSS feed for a website;
- to collect websites to answer someone else's question;
- to collect websites for my boss or administration on a topic of interest.
The slide presentation below gives a quick introduction to how to create a Del.icio.us account, some of the issues involved, and examples of ways to use Del.icio.us for yourself or in education.
Next let's look at some useful ways to use social bookmarking.
Posted by pfa at May 9, 2007 09:08 AM