January 13, 2006
Cat5e Line Splitter
Allows you to run two devices over a single CAT5e drop.
I haven't tried this yet, but I have a pair on order and should be installing them next week. I'll report back with the results.
Posted by awilkins at 09:09 AM
Free Windows Backup Software
I haven't tried this myself yet, but it looks interesting, especially since it supports FTP and SSL. I'm thinking that it might work via sftp.itd.umich.edu to backup to umich.edu AFS space...
More to come once I've played with this.
January 10, 2006
Who am I? What do I do?
- Telephone and email consulting for 764-HELP
- Anti-virus support as a member of the UM Virus Busters team
- Administering the campus FootPrints request-tracking system
- System administration for 764-HELP, including maintaining the Terminal Server environment we use
- Application and tools development for 764-HELP and other User Services groups
I work in both Windows and Linux environments for the tools we use and I support/develop, depending on what suits our needs. 764-HELP consultants use thin client computing, tied to Windows Terminal Servers to access these tools, allowing them to use the Intel and Macintosh computers at their stations to reproduce customer problems without fear of losing access to their tools or call notes.
Most of the tools I develop or maintain are written in Perl, with a judicious amount of shell scripting thrown in where approriate.
Welcome to my blog. I don't expect to post here often, but who knows? I might just get into this. Regardless, my posts will probably be articles and links about interesting things in IT and how it affects us, with a focus on security and privacy issues.