« March 2007 | Main | September 2007 »

April 13, 2007

Thanks for Reading!

Well we hope enjoyed with what we had to say even if you disagreed with it.  We enjoyed expressing our opinions and sharing our recommendations (or not recommendations) with you.  Some of the films that we would recommend but did not have time to are, Eternal Sunshine, Bad Boys 1 & 2, Snatch, Van Wilder, Pulp Fiction, Boondock Saints, A Beautiful Mind, Kids, and many more.  Some of the films that we would absolutely not recommend are The Reaping, Four Brothers, and Napoleon Dynamite.  These are just short lists of how we feel.  We hope that you were able to watch valuable movies from reading our blog and it was a pleasure making our recommendations to you.

Posted by vatran at 05:05 PM | Comments (0)

Movies: The Godfathers I, II, & III

The Godfathers I, II, & III
Directed by Francis Ford Copolla
Screenplay by Mario Puzo, Francis Ford Copolla
Starring Marlon Brando (I), Al Pacino (I-III), Robert DeNiro (II), Robert Duvall (I-II), Diane Keaton (I-III), James Caan (I)

You can view the trailer here: Trailer

I wanted to end my blog with the greatest movies of all time, The Godfather, The Godfather: Part II, and you guessed it, The Godfather: Part III.  This trilogy is truly the epitome of filmmaking.  With The Godfathers, Francis Ford Copolla proves that he is one of the greatest, if not the greatest, filmmaker of all time.  The Godfather is about the rise and fall of the Italian mob family, The Corleones.  With such a simple plot, Copolla is able to create a masterful trilogy.  The trilogy begins with the Don Vito Corleone (Brando) as the “Godfather,” the head of the Italian mob.   Part I establishes the dangerous life of a mob family and the importance of family ties.  It shows the respect and power of the Godfather along with his compassion.  Part II moves along to the next Godfather of the Corleone family, Michael Corleone (Pacino).  Michael initially unwillingly accepts the role of Godfather, but eventually realizes he is perfect for this role and must do so in reverence of his family name.  Part II also shows a series of flashbacks of a young Don Vito Corleone (DeNiro).  From this, we understand how the Coreleone’s came to be such a powerful and well respected family. Part III concludes this well established trilogy by truly showing the will and sternness it takes to be the Godfather.  A much older Michael Coreleone struggles to do what his father did so well, maintain the respect of his family, friends, and enemies.  Part III is not the downfall of the Corleones which is what many people perceive it to be but is actually the beginning of a new chapter that takes the cold-heartedness of a mob family to the next level.

Of course my one paragraph synopsis of all three films does not do any justice to the trilogy but the cast and director speak for themselves.  On top of having one of the greatest filmmakers of all time, Copolla, the main cast consists of all Academy Award nominees, and many even winners.  The Godfather, established these actors’ careers and made them who they are today, especially DeNiro and Pacino.  There is yet to be a trilogy that can be compared to the likes of the Godfather.  Trilogies today, and even back then, were glamorized by the use of special effects, such as Star Wars, Matrix, and The Lord of the Rings.  Don’t get me wrong, I like those movies, but those movies are popularized for their special effects.  The Godfathers contains no such use of special effects.  It is considered a classic because it relies on the actors, the filmmaker, and well written story, nothing more, not flying spacecrafts, slow motion martial arts, or talking Orks.  Audiences can take the Godfather as it is and not have to be wooed by the use of today’s special effects.

The Godfather trilogy is ten plus hours long, but I will guarantee you that it will be the ten best hours that you have ever spent watching a film.  This blog does no justice to the films so you need to just go out and see it for yourselves.

Posted by vatran at 11:16 AM | Comments (0)

April 12, 2007

Del.Icio.Us Review

I did not like del.icio.us or see the need to have this feature. Yes its great to have your bookmarks everywhere you go, but this one benefit doesn't really outweigh the annoyances. First, you always have to login to store a bookmark. I would rather just add the bookmark to my firefox bookmarks. It takes one click instead of at least three. Second, its hard to find links. The keywords organize similar bookmarks, but not as easily as a few folders of bookmarks do. Lastly, the search feature a few times has missed the links I was looking for. Maybe this was because I did not fully describe the link, but I think that is just a waste of time. Again, by organizing links by folders, its easier to find the links you are looking for.

Posted by diamantj at 06:18 PM | Comments (0)

Movies: Boiler Room

Boiler Room
Directed by Ben Younger
Screenplay by Ben Younger
Starring Giovanni Ribisi, Vin Diesel, Jamie Kennedy, Ben Affleck

The trailer can be viewed here: Trailer

Boiler Room is about a college drop out who starts a casino in his house to make money.  After being tired of doing illegal business, he joins an investment firm.  This firm pumps out rich brokers so Seth Davis, Giovanni Ribisi, is very hopeful for success. He soon realizes though, that the firm is not what it seems and is ripping off their investors.

This movie is a great movie. The plot is deep and thought out. Seth deals with acceptance issues from his father the entire movie.  As Seth tries to please his father by making an honest living, he only continues to disappoint his father.  The acting is also great in this movie since the audience's mood is exactly what Seth is feeling.

Giovanni Ribisi makes this movie great. You will find yourself repeating mutliple lines and loving how these white collar criminals rip off the average investor. This is one of my favorite movies and I recommend that everyone sees it at least once.

Posted by diamantj at 03:58 PM | Comments (1)

April 08, 2007

Movies: The Last King of Scotland

The Last King of Scotland
Directed by Kevin Macdonald
Screenplay by Jeremy Brock, Giles Foden, and Peter Morgan
Starring Forrest Whitaker, James McAvoy, Kerry Washington, David Oyelowo, Simon McBurney

You can view the trailer here: Trailer

The Last King of Scotland is about President of Ugandu General Idi Amin Dada (Whitaker), and the ways in which he hopes to stay in power.  He is followed by a Scottish man Doctor James Garigan (McAvoy) who randomly treated him one day for a sprained wrist.  The President for some reasons takes an immediate likely to Garigan and decides to make this Scottish man the closest advisor for the leader of an African country.  McAvoy is initially thrilled by this position and enjoys the glamour which the position entails but his success causes for him to be blind sighted of the evil demeanors of the President.  Eventually Garrigan learns of the president’s genocide but at this point he is already in too deep.  Because the president does any means necessary to have his “closest advisor” from leaving, Garrigan must exploit the evil president to save Uganda, even if it means assassinating the president.

I love this film for two reasons: 1) it educates the audience about an unknown event in history and 2) the cast is spectacular.  The film intends to not only entertain its audience but it also manages to educate its audience about the genocide of hundreds of thousands of Ugandanians in Africa of which the world knew nothing about.  Such a tragic event in history is unknown to most of the world but this film brings light to this topic, a topic which deserves much attention.  It’s a wake up call to the more fortunate countries to lend a helping hand to third world countries such as those in Africa and to not just turn away from their problems.

Now, that I have made my political statement, back to the film itself.  The cast is phenomenal.  At first, I was very upset that Dicaprio lost the Oscar to Whitaker but I judged before I saw The Last King of Scotland.  Dicaprio in The Departed was excellent, but Whitaker was amazing.  He deserves the Oscar, hands down.  In the film he switches his roles back and forth from a charismatic lovable president to a psychotic overly paranoid dictator.  His “schizophrenia” is easily conveyed on screen.  His supporting cast also deserves mentioning especially McAvoy.  With the two reasons mentioned above I would most definitely recommend The Last King of Scotland.

Posted by vatran at 04:11 PM | Comments (0)

April 07, 2007

Movies: Gone In Sixty Seconds

Gone in Sixty Seconds
Directed by Dominic Sena
Screenplay by Scott Rosenberg
Starring Nicolas Cage, Giovanni Ribisi, Angelina Jolie

You can view the trailer here: Trailer

Gone in Sixty Seconds is a movie that is more than about stealing cars, it is about a brothers love.  When Kip Raines, Giovanni Ribisi, takes a job for 50 top end cars and fumbles it, older brother Randall Raines, Nicolas Cage, must take the job to save his brothers life.

This movie is one of my favorites for many reasons.  First, any car lover should definitely see this movie since they race and steal many exotic and top end cars.  Secondly, this movie stands way apart from other car movies like 2Fast2Furious, etc. I should actually not even compare these two movies.  This movie actually has a deep plot and great acting.  The writing of this movie is great and shows compassion, thrill, and even some humor at times.  Lastly, this movie starts off a little slow, but once you watch how easily they break in and steal all of these cars, you will be hooked with action.

I recommend this movie for any car enthusiast or individuals who love Nicolas Cage and Giovanni Ribisi.

Posted by diamantj at 03:48 PM | Comments (2)

April 01, 2007

Movies: Super Troopers

Super Troopers
Directed by Jay Chandrasekhar
Screenplay by Jay Chandrasekhar Kevin Heffernan, Steve Lemme, Erik Stolhanske, Paul Soter
Starring Jay Chandrasekhar, Kevin Heffernan, Steve Lemme, Erik Stolhanske, Paul Soter, Brian Cox

You can view the trailer here: Trailer

Super Troopers is a comedy about the “exciting” lives of Vermont State Troopers.  Yes, I know what your thinking, the lives of state troopers, especially in an uneventful state such as Vermont, seems like an incredibly boring occupation.  And don’t get me wrong.  I completely agree but somehow Super Troopers makes this lackluster job of a highway patrol officer seem exciting, fun, and even desirable.  The four state troopers Rabbit (Stolhanske), Ramathorn (Chandrasekhar), Womack (Lemme), and Foster (Soter) pull hilarious pranks on one another and also the helpless victims that they pull over on their highway.  This humor is accompanied by the idiocy of Officer Farva (Heffernan) who could possibly one of the dumbest yet most entertaining characters created in cinema.  The shenanigans that the officers frequently pull, however, also come with consequences and eventually their jobs are in jeopardy of being lost to the local police officers.  Besides the hilarious pranks, the movie is also about the state troopers trying to maintain their jobs with the guidance of their hard-ass father-like captain, John O’Haggan (Cox).  Can the fun loving super troopers step up their game to not be replaced by the local cops?  I can’t tell you but I can assure you that you’ll have fun finding out.

The writers of Super Troopers are also known as “Broken Lizard” the name of their production company.  These five guys are simply friends who enjoy having a good time and understand humor.  They managed to make the lackluster life of a state trooper seem full of excitement and fun.  This is thanks to the cleverness in their pranks and the dialogue.  Unfortunately, however, their talented writing is not portrayed on the screen.  All of the writers with the exception of Kevin Hefferman are just average if not below average actors.  They should stick to the writing and find better talented actors to do the acting.

Hefferman, however, should continue whatever it is that he is doing.  He plays a character comparably to the likes of Will Ferrell in Old School and Vince Vaughn in Wedding Crashers.  If Super Troopers had more actors like Hefferman, I would consider it a comedic classic but because the writers chose to star in their own film I can’t give them this recognition but I will most definitely recommend this comedy for its uncontrollable laughs throughout.

Posted by vatran at 04:08 PM | Comments (1)