« Local News | Main | Washington/Political News »

March 20, 2007

World News

'Up to 600 dead' in Congo clashes


Up to 600 people may have been killed in last week's clashes in the Democratic Republic of Congo's capital, Kinshasa, European Union diplomats say.

The authorities have said about 60 people died in violence between the army and armed guards loyal to opposition leader Jean-Pierre Bemba. The EU diplomats expressed concern at the government's "premature" use of force which they say led to fighting. President Joseph Kabila said his troops put down an armed rebellion. There were enormous numbers of civilian casualties UK's ambassador Andy Sparkes. The violence threatened to derail the peace process which ended DR Congo's war and led to elections last year.

Mr Kabila defeated Mr Bemba, a former rebel leader, in a second round run-off. But Mr Bemba refused to have his armed bodyguards integrated into the national army before last week's deadline

Posted by mneha at March 20, 2007 04:02 PM

Comments

Login to leave a comment. Create a new account.