« September 2006 | Main | November 2006 »

October 30, 2006

Search Tip #2

Search Tip #2

Browsing with del.icio.us

With Search Tip #1 offering a unique suggestion for how to search for specifics on Google, I think it is important to offer some good search tips for the del.icio.us website. Most people's initial inclination when broswing for articles on IT related news would be to start from Google. However, I have found, for our topic and for searching generally, that del.icio.us may be a better answer.

My favorite place to begin is the del.icio.us home page. From this first site you can go in a variety directions to refine your search. My suggestion is to click more... next to where it says "tags to watch" in the upper right-hand corner. This will take you to a new page showing only a large tag cloud. Initially the cloud is probably formatted in alphabetical order and you can even see our "bit200f06" tag at the top. This cloud is organized alphatbetically and also each tag is sized according to its popularity. Just by the fact that bit200f06 sticks out like a sore thumb, you can see the impact our class has on del.icio.us.

My next suggestion is to sort this tag cloud by size, which it allows you to do at the top of the page. Although this change lowers our familiar tag's position in the cloud, it also formats the cloud to give you the most popular tags on del.icio.us. The largest ones are the most commonly used, the smaller ones at the bottom are less commonly used. The tag cloud is even color-coded, with red representing tags you have used to mark your own articles and blue representing tags you have not used.

So Why is this Tag Cloud Helpful?

Posted by dketch at 01:03 PM | Comments (0) | TrackBack

October 29, 2006

Search Tip # 3

Search Tip #3

Search Tip #3

Many years ago, I started by using Yahoo.com to do research in the internet - all kinds of searching at all. It is easy, you just go to the website, and type in anything that you want to know in the space provided, and after a few seconds, whatever that you are trying to find will come out.

Now, the catch: re-read the last paragraph and you'd find the word "a few seconds".

That's one main reason why I am using Google right now, because it redirects you to many different links within a second. This is, of course, really depending on your computer and internet connection. But let's say everything else stay the same, Google still saves your time, by a few seconds, that is. I mean, it does get really irritating to be waiting for the result of your search, especially when you are in a hurry.

My current PowerBook also has this little bar at the right corner of my Safari, allowing you to type in whatever that you want to search in there without having to go to Google's website - how convenient! You can be reading something online, and opps, you find something that you don't understand, and hey, your search is just an "enter" away. I thought it was the best invention ever, when it comes to searching.

On the right corner of my Safari, there's also a drop down menu that shows your previous search, so therefore if you searched for something that you have never heard of, or even something that you don't know how to spell, you are sure to find records of it, and you never have to know how to spell it (this is really useful for weird medical, or technological terms).

Of course, there is the Advanced Search, where you can narrow down your search in many different ways. It can be found on the right side of the space if you were to go in to Google's website. And then there's the Preference option, where you can even choose which language you want your result to be in.

You can also type anything at all, and as many words as you want, and they will figure everything out for you, even if you have some spelling mistakes. Example: you heard a nice song but you haven't a clue as to what the title is? Catch some of the lyric and type them in, and in a second, you'd be directed to links as to where to get the lyric, the chords, etc.

Since the homepage of Google.com is solely for the purpose of searching, you don't have to try figure out where to type in your search, it's there right in front of you. This is different from other search engines, like Yahoo or MSN, where their homepage include everything else that they have, and you know, too many stimulation can confuse you at times.

The best about Google: you just have to say, "Google it!" and people know what you mean. You don't have to take the trouble to say, "Go and use the search engine!" because Google has successfully branded the whole idea.

Posted by kalbindo at 03:14 PM | Comments (0) | TrackBack

October 27, 2006

Topic Announcement

Topic Announcement

In a new age of security, online transmittal of sensitive data is becoming more prevalent in the workplace. CEO's of global firms are transferring company sensitive data, individual consumers are keying in credit card information and identification records and people all around the world are hoping that this information is secure.

For our group's Term Project Idea (Group 35), we will be investigating the trends associated with security and hacking capabilities of sensitive information within relative networks. In a world inundated with corruption and fraud, there are in fact people who combat threats of security like these. Hopefully, at the end of our project, we will be able to identify these threats (whether commercial or business related), and new advancements helping to combat this issue of security.

Posted by helefter at 08:44 PM | Comments (0)

October 22, 2006

Search Tip # 1

Hardware Questions

I believe I can speak confidently for the majority of internet users when I say that if you've ever needed to look up information via the internet, one of the first places, if not the first, place you to go to is Google. Thus, it becomes very important, time wise, to be able to effectively use this web broswer/internet search engine.

Therefore, one tip I have found when trying to define my search results is the ability to use the "more" web search link on Google's main page. To get this from the main page, you click on the "more" tab, then click on "even more." The next page that follows will allow you to pick what types of search results will be displayed, whether scholarly, images, books, etc.

This tip is useful when you are trying to look up something specific, and after you search for it, you wind up getting 1 million results or something like that. It is frustrating, and a total waste of time, when this happens. So, by using the "more" tab on Google's search engine, you can confine your search so your results are more useful.

Steps to Use This Tip

1. Go to Google
    2. Click on "more" ... It is above the search bar
    3. Click on "Even More"
    4. Click on one of the links below
    5. Have Fun Googling!

Posted by helefter at 02:56 AM | Comments (0)

October 14, 2006

Apple and Motorola on Cell Phone (3)

Apple and Motorola on Cell Phone

Apple and Motorola on Cell Phone

After hearing about this gossip for so long, I thought that I should put down some of my thoughts. For those who don't know what it is about, Apple is thinking of making a cell phone with Motorola.

Some of my concerns:

1. Touchpad like iPod, or buttons? If it is a touchpad, it will be too much like Chocolate, unless they made sure that everything, including the number pads, are all touchpads. That will be cool, though pretty irritating at times when you need to use the phone while driving (I know you're not supposed to do that, but who doesn't?) because you can't feel the buttons. If it is buttons, then it will be too conventional - hey, after all we're talking about Apple, the logo that we relate to the word "innovation". Unless of course, they come up with something totally new that is not in the market yet.
    2. Which provider? Verizon? T-mobile? It will suck if they choose only one provider, because it will be limited to those people with those provider only. I wonder if they will sell the phone in the market without the provider just like that. Some people don't buy phones through the provider anyway, like me and my Chocolate.
    3. International market? Will it go international, or is it going to be available in the US? Apple is never big in Asian countries, and I, perhaps, am one of the few Indonesians currently using a Powerbook. It will be a pity if Apple's cell phone comes out after my graduation when I'm never going to be back here until a few years later, because I really do want to try that electronic device; hey, I'm a big Apple fan.
    4. Built-in iTunes = iPod substitute? So many phones have mp3 function in them, but if similar function is to be built into the new cell phone, will not it be like another iPod, and more useful actually. Will that be an iPod substitute, crashing the iPod market? Or perhaps they have already made some plans to ditch iPod and move onto cell phone that has more useful functions, like camera! Oh yes, camera - I wonder about the quality if they do have that function.
    5. Will it "burn" like Macbook? No pun intended. What I mean by burn is flopping down the drain. Sure, Macbook is cool, and I'm still dreaming of it even after I've heard about all the bad stories, like keyboards falling apart, and the heat burning your lap... Getting an Apple device fixed costs a lot of money, and if there is going to be a lot of problems with the cell phone, I'd think twice about making the purchase. If Apple can mess up a laptop, an industry that it's been competing in for many years, what about a cell phone market that it has never been in?

But I guess there's only so much that my anticipation can lead me to. Perhaps Apple will monopolize the cell phone market - who knows, they've got the cool image, the innovativity and creativity, and who doesn't know that they spend a great fortune of their profit on research and development? We'll wait and see. Well, at least I will.

Posted by kalbindo at 08:14 PM | Comments (0) | TrackBack

October 09, 2006

Welcome

Welcome

Authors for Term Project (Section 002 Group 35)

Henry Elefter- helefter
    Karlin Albindo- kalbindo
    Daniel Ketchel- dketch

Posted by helefter at 10:32 AM | Comments (0)

October 05, 2006

Hardware Questions

Hardware Questions

Group Members

Mitchell Vanderkodde
Annie Meyer
Henry Elefter

1. How does the Intel chip in the new Mac OSX operating system allow you to run both the Linux and Windows software?

I know that you can partition your hard drive and run two different programs; so my question is what makes the individual INTEL chip unique? (i.e. What allows this to happen that couldn’t normally happen if you would just normally partition your hard drive yourself?) This question came about while reading about the new chip in an online magazine.

2. What is the difference between jpg, wmv, and mp3 files?

While organizing files on my hard drive, I noticed each of these suffixes tagged onto the end of various files, and depending on whether the file was a jpg, wmv, or mp3 it had to be opened by a certain program. Why is this?

3. How do DVD manufacturers prevent copying of their DVDs?

I tried to burn a DVD and couldn’t get it to play on my DVD player because of copyright protection. How is this possible?

4. How do USB storage drives work?

I was in Best Buy and saw thumb drives with 2 gigs. How do they fit that on such a small drive, and what is the max capacity that they can fit on one? Will we see 100 gig thumb drives soon?

5. How does wireless technology work (i.e. how does a wireless card pick up signal)?

While unsuccessfully troubleshooting in an attempt to connect my laptop wirelessly to the business school network, I began to wonder how my laptop is able to pickup a wireless signal. Additionally, I am curious to know how firewalls and network keys work.

6. What is the difference between different internet connections such as cable, modem, and high-speed?

These terms are frequently used when referring to internet connections, and while watching TV, a RoadRunner High-Speed Internet Commercial aired, and left me wondering what the difference is between high-speed internet and other means of connection.

7. If using a network adapter how might it (if it does at all) slow down your internet connection. Or, how might a network adapter come into conflict with a firewall?

From what I understand, your network adapter connects a multitude of computers to a single internet connection. Because this connection has a specific bandwidth (or amount of information it can process at a certain time), I want to know how that affects the speed of the entire connection (if it does at all).

8. What is the difference between a dual core processor and a single processor?

I read an article saying how great the new duo core processor is. I know it has two processors, but how is this faster than one?

9. In terms of a video graphics card, what does the number 64mb as opposed to 128mb represent considering a screen can reach a maximum resolution?

When looking to purchase a laptop from IBM, two of the different models had a different size graphics card. Although I know the 128 mb one obviously creates a more precise picture, I want to know in reality how it can actually improve picture quality on a screen if you have an old monitor (or new one); I always thought each screen had a maximum picture quality ratio.

10. What compatibility issues do you run into if you choose to use firewire over a USB connection?

I understand that most computers come with USB ports, not normally (or as many) fire-wire ports. My interest was sparked after reading an article of the new 2.0 USB ports (for speedier connection than the newest fire-wire port). Can you even use the same port on the computer? And is there really a difference? Also, I think Apple created FireWire, and I also know that you can use FireWire on Windows (read in an article online). So was there an issue with compatibility, but now either is universal?

Posted by helefter at 08:55 PM | Comments (0)

MacBook (2)

MacBook

MacBook

I've always wanted to get myself one of those black MacBook since it came out, just because it's cool and hey, it's Mac - it's THE technology for technology retards like me. The PowerBook G4 I have right now never bothered me with anti-virus updates, and they have automatic update installation system. That's great, it's hassle-free.

Then MacBook came along, with the whole Core Duo and Intel Chip (I have no idea what they are, but I do know that they use Windows) and that means that I will be able to play a lot of games with that (finally!), and sell the currect Dell PC I have that is used solely for the purpose of gaming. They also have the magnetic power outlet, something that's very innovative. I've always tripped myself because of those cords that are lying around in the house (very common, especially when we have 4 laptops plugged to the same outlet), and I certainly do not want my computer to come crashing on me when, and if, I accidentally were to trip on it.

Though I haven't figured out what are the differences between MacBook and MacBook Pro except that the MacBook Pro doesn't come in the 13-inch size, I really want to find someone who knows about this. Oh, don't forget the student discount that you get when you're buying it, and especially if you get it in the Union (do they sell it there?), get yourself the student bundle discount; it's worth it. I remembered getting my 12-inch PowerBook G4 with 3 in 1 HP laser printer and 20 gb iPOD for about $1600 or less (of course with all the rebates and such).

One concern about MacBook though, what if it starts getting messy and I start getting all the virus alert system, just like my Dell PC? I also have heard cases where the keys on the keyboard fall off (!!?!?!?!?) and being an Apple customer, you have to be ready to spend a lot on these kinds of problems. They want your money all the time, other than the fact that the services that they provide are not all that great, or so I've heard.

Posted by kalbindo at 04:44 AM | Comments (0) | TrackBack

October 04, 2006

Firefox Scare (1)

<align=center>Firefox Scare </>

I was reading two articles recently published this past week about the Firefox Internet Browser. I was very interested in what each one had to say. The first link claimed that there were critical errors associated with Firefox, allowing hackers to obtain personal information. It did not really go into detail, but as I first read this, I was shocked. In my mind, as well as the opinion of the majority of my friends, Firefox is known to be the faster and more importantly, safer, web browser to use. A threat like this could have had large implications to the internet community. Firefox Critical Error

In addition, the second article was related directly to the first one; it stated that the claim about Firefox was entirely false, and that hackers had essentially made it up as a joke. After reading the second article I was relieved to say the least. This was mostly due to the fact that I use Firefox and didn’t want to find another browser. In the end it just goes to show you that you can't always believe what you see/read/hear the first time around. Firefox Joke Admitted.

Posted by helefter at 07:13 PM | Comments (0)